Happy Earth Day to You!
Tomorrow, April 22, 2018 is Earth Day - a day that we hold close to our hearts here at Tottels®. We hope you all will take a moment to celebrate and respect our Mother Earth.
Here are 8 simple and easy ways to make an impact:
1. Recycle. You've been hearing it for years. If you must have those amazon deliveries (guilty here!) and soda cans (not much but yes, also guilty), then the very least you can do is recycle them! Find out more about where and how to recycle here.
2. Keep your car parked today. Walking will not only reduce pollution and your carbon footprint, but will also help you get some exercise, breath fresh air into those lungs, soak in some Vitamin D, set a great example for your littles, and oh so much more!
3. BYO grocery bags. You know the ones. You have so many free ones that you don't know what to do. Take a moment and put them in your trunk (or handbag if you are walking!!) so they are alway available for your quick runs to the store.
4. Eat vegetarian for a day.
"Meat production emits more greenhouse gases than the entire transportation sector, and producing just a half a pound of hamburger emits as much CO2 as driving a 3,000-pound car 10 miles." -----> Read more about the effects of farming animals here.
These days, there are SO MANY ways to get your protein even as a vegetarian. There's always pizza and pasta, but for the high protein peeps, there are lentils, beans, tofu, quinoa, greek yogurt, nuts and more!
5. Pick up trash from a park or other public space. Respect our Earth by keeping it clean, and again, setting an example for your littles and the others who notice! Or maybe no one will notice. Do. Good. Anyway.
6. Turn off lights/fans/TV when you leave a room. No brainer here..save electricity and save $$, too!
7. Keep a dedicated water cup for each family member. It is recommended that we drink about 8 servings of water per day. That is 8 cups to wash per person, or worse - lots of plastic bottles! Keep a dedicated water cup per person per day, or better yet, invest in reusable water bottles.
8. Make one small energy-saving change in your home. There are endless possibilities to giving your home a green makeover, but here are just a few:
- Replace all light bulbs with energy efficient bulbs
- Use 50% less water by using water-saving shower heads. Take it one step further by cutting your shower time in half. Get a timer for the little ones for added fun - A cute and simple one like this has been a hit in our home.
- Turn off water while brushing/shaving.
- Install a programmable thermostat.
And finally, show some kindness. Ok..maybe this is not for Earth day..this is for every day. Just because. :)
Have some favorite Earth Day tips? Share in the comments below!